Enter password recovery mode, to remove password
- Unplug power from switch.
- Plug in power to switch, whilst holding down the “mode” button. This interrupts the booting process.
- Let go of mode button when you see the following prompt
“Base ethernet mac address……”
- Type: flash_init and then press enter. It will say …done initializing flash.
Below are the commands I used.
- Initialize flash
- Ignore the startup configuration
- Boot packages.conf
Switch: boot flash:packages.conf
- Terminate the initial configuration dialog by answering No.
Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: No
- At the switch prompt, enter privileged EXEC mode.
- Erase the startup-config
Switch# write erase
7. Erase the Vlans
Switch# delete flash:vlan.dat
8. Reload the switch
Unfortunately, I was only able to reset one switch(using the above commands) but the second switch kept on looping back to its initial privilege mode (after the 3rd command above) prompting me to enter the initial password which I didn’t know.
First one has been successfully factory-reset, right?
So power up the first one, leave the 2nd one off. Next attach the stacking cable to the second one. Power up the 2nd unit. Wait for the 2nd unit to join the stack and get it’s configuration overwritten by the first one.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0